Sunday, December 04, 2005

You Can Do It Daddy!

When Hannah was little and was learning to walk up stairs I used to stand behind her and tell her "you can do it. Just take one step at a time."

Just before Grace was born we moved Hannah out of the crib and into a big girl bed. We set the crib up on the landing area going up to the master bedroom. We had converted our office on the first floor into a room for Hannah. Now that she was in a big girl bed we had a gate in the doorway to keep her from wandering about at night.

One particular Saturday morning when Mary was at the hospital and Grace had not arrived yet, I thought I might be able to get some extra winks in before starting the day. As a new two year old Hannah was pretty good about waking up and playing by herself for a while until it was time for breakfast. But not on this particular morning.

While I tried to slumber on, Hannah stood at the gate in her bedroom doorway and kept calling for me to come play with her. I begged for a few more minutes of sleep. "I'll be right there honey. I promise." We went on like that for about five to ten minutes. Then she said it.

"C'mon Daddy! You can do it. Just take one...step...at...a...time!"

I never had better motivation to start my day.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: